So, the boy and I are taking a salsa class together on Wednesday evenings. I haven't asked him to do anything all week since he needs his time. Tuesday evening, I get a text from him saying "dinner and movie at your place after salsa". I'm so excited, I say yes! Since my oven is not working, I get up early in the morning, head to the grocery store and pick up items for fondue, grab a nice bottle of wine, pick up the apartment, all for a romantic evening. After class, he heads over, I start to pick put everything together, but the oil on the stove, cut the meat, get out the mushrooms and carrots. We're talking, having a good time, I get distracted by animals, realize the oil is smoking. Not thinking, I take the oil of the stove, bring to the fondue set, smoking more. Think it will stop smoking in a little while.
Nope, smoke starts to go everywhere. My cats start hacking, he's hacking, I can't see, Dora (my dog) is wining. This is bad. We try to open windows, only to find out that they have been painted shut. He starts to hammer at a window, hits to hard and breaks the window! He runs out of the apartment because he can't take it anymore, I'm trying to open other windows, check on my animals, and get rid of the smoke. He comes back in and says grab Dora, we're leaving. He saran wraps all of my meat, puts it into the fridge as I am putting my cats under the bed (there's a little space that the smoke isn't going.
We leave and go outside, trying to figure out what to do. Suddenly, I start crying. All I wanted was a nice romantic evening and once again, it didn't happen. As I was telling him this, he says it's okay because he wasn't feeling romantic anyway :( Words were said that were meant to be funny, but rubbed me the wrong was as it reminded me of the same things Josh said when he left. Trying to be funny, he says he can't wait to tell his mom about this and that she doesn't have to worry about getting fat if he stays with me because he can't eat half my meals. He was trying to make a joke, but it just struck the wrong chord. Then the boy proceeded to ask me if I;ve always been like this or just since the divorce. Things have never really gone as planned but I'm always able to laugh. He agrees and says that at least we were making a memory. Still, I'm crying and all I really wanted was a hug. Nope, no hug.
We take Dora and head to a restaurant, eat, come back. I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to sleep and he heads home. Dora and I go to the apartment and it's still smokey. Not wanting the food to go to waste, I make stir fry for my lunch and dinner for the following day. As I'm making the stir-fry, it's still smokey, I can't see well, and I end up burning my thumb. Soon, I finish the stir-fry, go to the room to try and sleep but the smoke is still quite think. Off Dora, the cats and I go. We stay in my car for a couple of hours and when I can't really stay awake any longer, I head back to the apartment. Still a little smokey but not quite as bad.
At the time, I was really upset that once again my plans did not go the way I expected. Now, looking back I can laugh at it and just chalk it up to another unexpected story to tell. Maybe one of these days, it will go right :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment