Life is full of making mistakes, and like many people, I make umpteen mistakes on a daily basis. Each mistake, I try to learn something from what happened. Usually, I'm not too upset with my mistakes unless it affects someone else.
Today, had been kind of busy at work which doesn't always happen. I advise a student group that started last year and we are trying to make it even bigger than last year. It's not in my job duties but it's something that I have a true passion for and greatly enjoy. Over the past week, I've had quite a few businesses e-mail asking if they could sponsor one of our meetings and talk about job and internship possibilities. Since this is something that our department has wanted to do anyway- just noone has had the time to make it happen, I've been trying to take advantage of these offers. The only problem is trying to find a time when many students can come to a meeting. For the majority of the day, this is what I was working on. I left work at four just to be continued once back at home. For me, since I am not business minded and don't "speak" business language, this can be somewhat challenging and draining for me.
The mistake comes in that, when I am focused on something I tend to forget about other things. It's one of my flaws that I have no problem admitting. So, let's back track a minutes. Last weekend, I was suppose to have lunch with a friend- it didn't happen because he had homework to finish and I just needed a day to myself. We rescheduled for today after work, we didn't set a time or place (another mistake on my part, if no place or time is set- i don't put it in my mental calendar). I was to call my "new" friend after I was done with work and then we would meet for coffee/tea.
After work, I go home to take Dora out, get back on-line and start to make some more phone calls. Not even thinking of anything else. Then, I get to the dinner, I realize that I forgot to call this person. Go to check my phone and the number isn't in my phone. I feel horrible, especially because I can't stand broken arrangements. I'm starting to stress out because of this, and then stress out for other reasons at the dinner as well. I try to hide things, but I've learned I unfortunately don't do that very well. Before I left, I had three people ask why I wasn't my normal chipper/host-ey self :( So, now I've broken an engagement and haven't been the type of host I like to be.
Oh well, we all have off days, right?
After being dropped off, I go to e-mail my "new" friend. Well, my friend had beat me to the e-mail and all it says was "That was a strange experience, I'm glad to know what you are like". Ouch, this is one mistake I don't think I can fix.
I love to laugh, and have plenty of opportunity to laugh during the day, unfortunately this is not one a case that brings me to laugh- I feel awful about the whole situation. This person seems to be a person with a gigantic heart and a nice personality, and I just wish him the best of luck and a life full of happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds like someone took this too seriously. Don't beat yourself up about it, especially if you are a more understanding person than this friend of yours!
Post a Comment