Monday, April 20, 2009

Nothing wrong with being quiet

Sometimes our society amazes me, so many time I have heard comments "why can't you talk more? why can't you state your opinion freely?" "i'd like to see you be the center of the party. Being different from one another is what makes the world go round, it's okay to be on the quiet/shy side. Of course, there are often times that I wish I could be more outgoing and the life of the party but that's not me. I'm the listener, the one who can see many sides and wants to take it all in and after 32 years I'm finally partially okay with it.

Being on the quiet side but also liking to be around people can sometimes be quiet amusing. After my separation, I wanted to be out of the house and meet people and try to figure out what was so wrong with being quiet so I joined a group I found off of craigslist- it was a group for shy people. I went thinking that there would be a facilitator for the group. Surprise, when I got to the coffee shop, there were 6 people and no facilitator- 6 shy people all together- it was intensely quiet. I tried to talk but would just get stares back. We sat for almost two hours not saying a word. The next time, we brought cards so it helped break the ice just a little but not too much. The next couple of times it was just like the first one, after 5 times I stopped going but it was definitely worth the try!

No comments: